Sunday, April 8, 2007

Bleed Into One - the story of Christian rock

So, this is my latest project. It is a feature length doc, a follow up to my first feature doc, "Strong Enough to Break" which is finishing it's festival/college run after being received much better than ever anticipated. I was approached by Tim Hudson in Bartlesville, OK about the idea. It sounded solid but surely it had been done before... the history of Christian rock. Turns out, nobody has ever tackled it, there have been some shorts and a couple docs about a certain event but nobody has ever gone back to the beginning to see how it all started and how we are now in a time where POD, The Fray, Switchfoot, Chris Daughtry, etc. are not judged by their lyrics but by their art.

The story has morphed from being the true history and including much more of the harder stuff, to being the story of the genre as told by those who created, shaped and lived it. I am not making the anthology here and I am not making a feel good, all Christian music is great thing either. This is a story of controversy, corruption, faith, art, business, hope, diligence, etc. I am not setting out to prove anything, or make anyone look bad, I am just telling the TRUTH, as told to me thru interviews. To get people to respect anything, you have to acknowledge the warts, the dark places, and the frailty. I have a 5 minute promo video that I cannot make public just yet but it has been received overwhelmingly well. The title represents my own personal position that we, as Christians, are too focused on creating our own "safe" sub-culture instead of BEING IN THE WORLD, being relevant and AFFECTING culture. We are called to be IN THE WORLD, not of the world and too many people are so focused on the second half of that verse that the forget the first part which is the most important.

Currently, we have interest from at least 2 major studios but since the film is still shooting, we are considering all options. I will keep everyone updated thru this blog and I will be posting updates after every interview we do. To get started, I will post some personal highlights of the interviews we have done to date.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ash - I absolutely love the idea of this film.... Christian rock music is the reason I am into music like I am today. People like Audio Adrenaline & The OC Supertones were the first bands I was in love with when I was 11 and 12 years old. Being 21, I feel like these are the early influences I had on music other than classic rock & the beatles. It really is to blame for where I am a today, a music critic and lover.

Joe said...

Can't wait to see it! I got into Christian rock as a kid with dc Talk and Audio Adrenaline, and now in college I rock out to just about everything from Stryper (discovered via iTunes) to Skillet and POD. I love the very notion of 'headbanging for Jesus', but I agree that modern Christians, myself included, are becoming too self absorbed to the point where we are almost just another social clique with our own fashion and music. In any case, can't wait to the film!! Great idea for a topic overlooked by far too many people! God Bless!